Monday 3 February 2014

Lá Fhéile Bhríde




The bells of St Brigid are calling tonight,
green rush crosses hang on kitchen walls
and warm glows light the windows.

Enter, Goddess... Saint.
Hang your cloak on a moonbeam.

Spring is here in longer days
and the yellowing of gorse in the valley.
Let the festivals begin: flowers, flames
and food;
fresh incarnations of old mysteries
where the blood of the
lamb flows in grotesque substitute
for the milk of the
ewe.

But spring stands for regeneration
whatever colour the candles
you light. And soon swallows
will return to rebuild nests
in the crumbling ruins of last year's shelters.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I look forward to the swallows returning to our house soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stirred up my hopes for spring, too! As I sit and look out the window to the persistent snow that falls, I am anxious for the regeneration of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the green rush crosses for St. Brigid. Lovely imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no Idea what the bells of st Bridget' mean, if it has to do with the coming of spring, I certainly agree with the voice projected in your prose.beebeesworld

    ReplyDelete
  5. With snow on the horizon tonight, I yearn for spring, and your words took me right there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is interesting how many are writing about the cold/winter...and you the coming of spring. You had some beautiful word choices...my favorite image, hanging the cloak on a moonbeam.
    -WriterlyWannaBe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the references to the old legends. I really liked this. LM x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic use of the old stories and the new symbols - really good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly lovely. My favorite line was "hang your cloak on a moonbeam". It invokes a beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete